BOOSTING APPRENTICESHIP COMMENCEMENTS
Updated: 4 October 2020.
The Australian Government is providing support to all employers who engage a new Australian Apprentice or Trainee to assist with the recovery from the impact of COVID-19.
Is my business eligible?
Your business or Group Training Organisation may be eligible if:
- you engage an Australian Apprentice between 5 October 2020 and 30 September 2021, and
- your Australian Apprentice or trainee is undertaking a Certificate II or higher qualification, and has a training contract that is formally approved by the state training authority.
How much is the subsidy?
- Eligible employers and Group Training Organisations will receive a wage subsidy of up to 50 per cent of the Australian Apprentice’s gross wage paid.
- The wage subsidy is available for a maximum of $7,000 per quarter per eligible Australian Apprentice.
- The subsidy is available for wages paid from 5 October 2020 to 30 September 2021.
Anything else I should know?
- The subsidy is available to employers of any size, industry or geographic location.
- The subsidy is capped at 100,000 places.
- The subsidy is not available for any apprentice receiving any other form of Australian Government wage subsidy e.g. Supporting Apprentices and Trainees or JobKeeper.
- Payments will be made quarterly in arrears, with first claims for the subsidy available from 1 January 2021.
- Final claims for payment must be lodged by 31 December 2021.
How can I find out more?
For further information on how to apply for the subsidy, including information on eligibility, contact the TORGAS main line on 07 4759 0000.